Anyone over the age of 18 (as of 31 January 2023) who is not a resident of the United Kingdom can apply.
British Council International Radio Playwriting Competition is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for writers from outside the UK who want their stories to be heard worldwide. BBC and the British Council host this international competition.
It is a unique opportunity for writers from outside the United Kingdom to use audio drama to tell stories to the audience worldwide. Writers worldwide are invited to submit their scripts for the International Radio Playwriting Contest, which is now open for entries.
Whether you’re an established writer or an amateur, the competition welcomes scripts from anyone outside the UK. This radio playwriting competition is a noteworthy part of the British Council’s program of developing contemporary playwrights worldwide, discovering new talent, and helping artists find international opportunities. British Council International Radio Playwriting Competition helps share stories in a powerful way to connect with different cultures and challenging issues. For every competition, there are extraordinary stories to tell from all corners of the globe, including people who would not have considered themselves playwrights before.
The host organization is looking for entries in two categories first is English as a first language and second is English as a Second language. It would be a great opportunity as the winner can come from either category. It helps to find fresh voices and inventive scripts. British Council Radio Playwriting Competition will also open doors to many future opportunities and allow participants to make better career choices.
Further details about the British Council International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023, including criteria, benefits and requirements, are provided below. Read this article till the end so you get all the important details. Take advantage of this opportunity and apply before the deadline ends.
Writers from around the world are invited to submit their scripts for the 28th International Radio Playwriting Competition, which is now open for entries.
The global competition, hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, offers the unique opportunity for writers from outside the UK to use the medium of audio drama to tell stories for an international audience.
They are looking for entries in two categories: English as a First Language and English as a Second Language.
The two first prizes can come from either category.
Both winners will attend an award ceremony in London and see their plays being recorded for broadcast and streaming on BBC World Service. A Special Commendation will be made for the runner-up in honour of the BBC World Service journalist and writer Georgi Markov (1929-1978).
Eligibility Criteria for International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023
- Anyone over the age of 18 (as of 31 January 2023) who is not a resident of the United Kingdom can apply.
- Both new and established writers are encouraged to apply; however, they may require proof of eligibility.
- Participants should be able to write a radio play of approximately fifty-three minutes on any subject of their choice.
- They may need to provide proof of eligibility, age and identity.
- Furthermore, participants must not be employees of BBC, BBC Group company or British Council, close relatives of such employees, or any other person connected/related to the competition.
- Before sending in your entry make sure to read the terms and conditions.
The global competition is held in the UK to offer a unique opportunity for writers from outside the UK. Therefore, you must avail this opportunity. Before you go further, check the benefits of this international competition. The following are benefits offered under the British Council International Radio Playwriting Competition.
Benefits of the British Council Radio Playwriting Competition
- The cash prize of £2,500 sterling (or equivalent in a local currency).
- A trip to London (airfare and accommodation coverage for the participant) to attend a prize-giving event and to see the winning play being recorded.
- Opportunity to challenge your potential through an international platform.
- The application process is online.
- The work must be written substantially or entirely in English. The script must be accompanied by a brief synopsis of no more than 400 words describing the work’s complete history. You can apply by visiting the website to apply.
- Participants can also submit their work via email or by mail. The links can be found on the official website.
- For the entry to be accepted, it must be accompanied by a complete copy of the registration form that can be downloaded from the official website.
- Submissions must be done before the deadline ends.
- The deadline to apply for the BBC and British Council international radio playwriting competition 2023 is 12 February 2023.
- However, you must read the terms and condition.